Saturday, September 19, 2009

Triathlon - Crescent Moon

I finished my second Triathlon! I did better than the first one and was happy that my first open water swim went well. Phew!!! Thanks to Stephanie's encouragement!! Stephanie picked me up in the dark at 5:30 a.m. We got to Cherry Creek Reservoir before 6:00 a.m., picked up our packet and walked our bikes down to transition near the reservoir. It was STILL dark---not to mention freezing cold and we could almost see our breath as the sun was coming up. I turned to Stephanie (who is a seasoned athlete, doing multiple races each year) and said, "You actually do this for FUN??!!?! I was still trying to convince myself as I fought back the knot in my stomach as I thought about getting in the reservoir and swimming my 1/2 mile to start out the race. Well, the time finally came and I did finish my 1/2 mile swim, 12.4 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. YEA!! I was proud of my accomplishment as a mother of 5 with limited time to train. I was also grateful to Jeff and the kids for cheering me on during my run!! So next year I'll be even more prepared. . .
This is what my transition spot looks like. All set up to bike and run after the swim!
Jeff brought Dillon, Cade, and Paige to watch me finish! Thanks, Jeff! I may have even inspired Dillon and Cade to sign up for a Kid's Triathlon next summer. Yea!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Way to go Donna!!! I've been doing a triathlon each year for the last 6-7 years. I always wonder why I am doing it when I'm out there warming up. I'm so proud of you!!!