Saturday, June 6, 2009

My First Triathlon!!

In December, my sister Kristin told me that she had signed up for a Triathlon and asked if I would want to do it.  I said, "Are you crazy?  I don't swim, or run, or ride my bike!"  Well, then the challenge was on because if Kristin is doing it, I COULD DO IT!!  I decided that "working out" at the gym just wasn't enough any more.  I'd been doing that for 9 years, and now it was time for me to stop taking the easy road and take on a challenge.  So I talked to my good friend, Stephanie, who had done 4 triathlons, marathons, 1/2 marathons, etc.  She told me over lunch that she'd do one with me and help me with the training.  Well, I told her I needed to get in the pool first to see if I could swim.  I hadn't swam a lap in at least 25 years.  I didn't want to drown.  Well, our first time swimming was challenging, but I could see that I could get there.  I also knew that I was in good enough shape to work my way to a 5K run and my spin classes would pull me through the bike part.  We signed up for a Triathlon in September.  Then at the beginning of May Stephanie told me about a "Tune Up" Tri in June that we should do since it had an indoor swim.  I knew it would help me prepare for my Tri in Sept so I signed up.  Then soon after, my niece Tiffany got excited about what I was doing and signed up herself and her husband (I'm not sure he was very thrilled).  So we all did it together and had a blast!  It is so crazy that something so physically challenging can actually be fun. . .well when it is over you look back and seem to think so!  

So here is a photo of me and my inspirational friend, Stephanie.

Here are the four of us after the race--Andrew, Tiffany, Me, Stephanie!

Andrew took this picture of me crossing the finish line!  YEA!
Trying to catch my breath after the race--whew!
Andrew and Tiffany in their race shirts after the race

1 comment:

Jennie said...

You are amazing with all you accomplish! Congrats on your first triathlon. I can't wait for my foot to heal so I can run again!